Valentine’s Day is upon us. It’s the time we show those we love how much they mean to us. It’s always good to take a step back and be grateful for the people in your life. I am also grateful to have a roof over my head. Even with all the love you have for your home, sometimes we could use a little sprucing up around the house to feel renewed in our environment. Today, let’s talk about some little things you can do to renew your love affair with your house!
- Deep clean- I for one love the feeling when the house is completely spotless. We have a house keeper that comes to do a thorough cleaning once a month. In between, it’s up to us to clean. I don’t care for it, but I do love how clean surroundings create energy and creativity.
- Declutter– Having less means you don’t have to spend the time cleaning all those extraneous items you’ve accumulated over the years. Clutter can give your home a sense of chaos and who wants to feel stressed when they walk through the door and see a stack of old newspapers, mounds of laundry, or an overflowing pantry? Donate what you can to a local charity and feel twice as good about your purge!
- Rearrange your furniture– Simply moving your bed from one wall to the other totally changes the space. You have a new view when you wake up in the morning and it can give you a new outlook on life. Reposition your couch so your view of the fire place makes you want to curl up and read a book.
- Fresh paint– This home improvement task has a lot of bang for the buck! Try going with a darker shade to give a room more romance. Even freshening up the same color or touching up moulding can make a huge difference. Colors are a great way to show your style. Cool colors like blue work great in a bedroom. Warm tones in a kitchen can stimulate your appetite. The possibilities are endless!
- Change artwork and family photos– Changing out artwork can really update a space. Simply rearranging art can be a budget friendly option. Paint frames, switch out prints, or totally revamp your art collection. Similarly, change out old family photos (and store them in an album) and update them with current memories. It is fun to look back through those albums and reminisce and it will give your home a fresh new look.
- Buy fresh flowers– Live plants in the house is something I always love. The bright, cheery colors make me change my whole attitude. I especially love them on the kitchen table where they are seen all day long. Buying flowers for yourself is a nice gift. You deserve it!